The Importance of Safety and Learning
from School Board of Broward County Leadership
The School Board of Broward County believes it is essential to provide support services for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or questioning students. The fundamental purpose of Broward County Public Schools is to ensure that every student from diverse populations and families have access to a quality education, which includes high grade point averages and strong attendance records. As well, in order to succeed in a world beyond the schoolhouse doors, students must be taught to appreciate and respect the diversity within their school communities.
Professional Staff Development Related to LGBTQ Student Needs and Resiliency. Click on the carat below to learn more…
- Understand the key issues that impede safety in the learning environment for all students including sexual minority students and those perceived as such.
- Identify how safety issues impact both performance in school and personal development for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender young people
- Identify tools that can be used to influence student behaviors to reduce bullying, to counter prejudice and intervene with name calling
- Identify resources in the community and the most contemporary articles and materials to assist helping professionals in meeting those challenges
Bullying and Sexual Minority Youth 201 Objectives
- To ground previous learning, raise awareness and provide more information ab out the psycho-social impact of anti-LGBTQ bullying along with the parallel challenges of coming out, understanding gender expression and identity and the importance of safety for LGBTQ youth of varying identities
- To continue to provide practical tools and strategies of prevention, intervention and resources for helping professionals
- To meet and dialogue with a “Broward Community Panel of Resource Professionals” specific to LGBTQ needs for the purpose of becoming more aware of avenues of support and communication for students, staff, administrators and parents
- To listen and interact with a panel of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth who will tell about their personal experiences and offer solutions for creating safer school communities for all youth, particularly LGBTQ youth
- To develop real time scenarios and learn skills to intervene in challenging situations and/or anti-gay harassment or bullying.
Bullying and Sexual Minority Youth 301 Objectives
- Gain more awareness about federal, state and Broward County School laws, policies and guidelines that protect and support the needs and resiliency of LGBTQ youth, and staff’s role in its implementation
- Develop real time scenarios, learn skills and practice roleplays, demonstrate intervening in challenging situations, anti-gay harassment and bullying from a “360” perspectives, including administrative, support staff and educator lenses of action
- Develop real time scenarios, learn skills and practice roleplays that demonstrate how and what to do to inform colleagues and stakeholders about laws, policy and procedures for LGBTQ youth support and safety
- Interact with a panel of LGBT youth who will tell their stories and share their perspectives via their personal lens about what adults can do to create safer school communities for LGBTQ youth, as well as youth of varying marginalized identities
- Identify resources in the community and the most contemporary articles and materials to assist helping professionals with ensuring LGBTQ youth safety, support and resiliency
Customized Staff Development and Leadership Training on Diversity…Click the carat below to read more….
Gay-Straight Alliance Advisor Training…Click the carat below to read more….
Prevention Liaison Training…Click the carat below to read more….
On Line Professional Staff Development Training…Click the carat below to read more….