Reality Lane’s Honesty (February)
Get the Flash Player to see this content.
What is honesty?
Honesty is being truthful, trustworthy, and sincere.
Suggested Classroom Activities Character Newsletter
How do you demonstrate your honesty?
- Taking responsibility for what I say and what I do, even if it means there may be a consequence.
- Sharing what I know about a situation that could be harmful to others or to property.
- Returning anything I find to the person who lost it, or turning it into the proper authorities.
- Remembering that it is easier to tell the truth than to remember a lie.
Suggested Home Activities:
- What are some things that kids your age say that are guaranteed to close down a conversation with parents? Let’s make a list.
- What are some things that parents say that shut things down? Let’s make a list.
- ROLE PLAY (For girls) You are going out with your friends to a big school dance. You’ve bought some new clothes and jewelry for the event. You spend a lot of time getting dressed and putting on your make up and you think you look great. But when you come downstairs, your folks go through the roof and say that girls your age shouldn’t dress that way – dress is too short, too much makeup, etc..
- ROLE PLAY (For boys) You have a friend who always gets in trouble. Your parents want you to stop hanging out with him. You still like him and don’t think your parents understand. He asks you to spend Saturday with him at the mall. Now you have to get your parents permission.
- Follow-up questions for both role plays. Put yourself in your parents’ shoes and ask these questions: What would be my worst fear? How could you talk to me about these fears? How could you show me that you are ready for this responsibility? What would be a fair solution to this problem?
- BRAINSTORM: Let’s think up 5 to 10 rules that would help make relations between parents and teens better.
- Have each person write down a “a little white lie” they have told and place it in a container. Take turns drawing from the container and discuss if it were you how would you handle a situation like this in the future.