Reality Lane’s Respect (January)
What is respect?
Respect is showing consideration, understanding, and regard for people, places, and things.
Suggested Classroom Activities Character Newsletter
How do you demonstrate your respect?
- Saying and doing what makes people feel safe and protected because everyone is valuable and important.
- Looking at, and listening to, the person who is speaking to me.
- Extending a sense of belonging to others.
- Saying, “Please”, “Thank You”, “Please be quiet”, and when appropriate, “Excuse Me”, and “I’m Sorry”.
- Leaving other’s belongings and property alone or receiving permission to borrow or to use it.
Suggested Home Activities:
Discuss as a family:
- What is respect – how does it look, sound, feel? What about disrespect? Is one easier to recognize than another and why or why not? How does each person feel when they believe that others are not showing them respect?
- Do you think the expectation of being treated with and treating others with respect should have anything to do with age or position? With parents, children, teachers, employers, grandparents, friends, etc.?
- Should adults show respect to children? Give examples of ways that adults demonstrate respect to children and ways that children show respect to adults. Has how we view the demonstration of respect changed? How do our grandparents vs. parents vs. children want to be shown or define respect? How do YOU want to be treated?
- If you treat others with respect, how do you expect them to treat you? Why? What recent examples have been in the media about not showing respect?
- How do they feel when they are playing a game or participating in any competitive sport and the adult spectators are not respectful of the players, the coaches, the referees and each other? What do they think should be done?
- What do you respect? Do you only respect people? Is respect only an individual thing? Brainstorm a list of what they respect, what they feel should be respected and why. Can you have respect for others (people and/or things) if you don’t have respect for yourself?
- How does your family demonstrate their: Respect for self, Respect for your body, Respect for others, Respect for life, Respect for property?
Create a RESPECT bulletin board. Each day have family members write down one thing that they did that showed respect for a person, animal, or property.